Jumat, 17 Februari 2023

Cyclone Gabrielle: temporary morgues set up in New Zealand as rescues continue - The Guardian

Authorities in New Zealand have set up two temporary morgues, as the death toll from Cyclone Gabrielle, the country’s most damaging storm in decades, climbs to eight.

A second volunteer firefighter, Craig Stevens, died in hospital after being caught in a landslide near Auckland earlier in the week. A body was also found near Napier on Friday morning, police confirmed. Officials have warned that the toll is likely to rise further.

Prime Minister Chris Hipkins toured the Hawke’s Bay region on Friday, saying “the whole country” was feeling for communities affected.

“There are some people who are in a very, very fragile state.

“I just ask people to keep going, you know, we will get through this. We will come out the other side of it. But it is an exceptionally challenging circumstance at the moment.”

Severe storms have cut off entire towns, washed away farms, bridges and livestock, and inundated homes, stranding people on rooftops. Ten thousand people have been displaced and by Thursday afternoon, 3,455 people had been registered by police as “uncontactable”, though some were likely to be multiple reports for the same person, authorities said.

Temporary morgues have been set up in Napier and Hastings as part of “standard practice”, a police spokesperson told news outlet Stuff.

“The facilities have been established as a precaution to ensure that any fatalities can be managed with care and respect, and in accordance with coronial processes. They are held there before being taken to a mortuary,” police said.

The Prime minister, Chris Hipkins, arrived in Napier on Friday morning. “When you look from up on the hill at the extent of the damage it really is confronting just the true extent of the challenge that these guys have got in front of them,” he told a reporter for the New Zealand Herald.

Hipkins also said there was no evidence to support claims of much higher death figures or or injuries, RNZ reported.

“It’s no good to anybody speculating about how many people may have been injured or how many people may have died in this tragedy,” Hipkins said.

“We will certainly share that information as soon as we can but I have heard some outlandish claims out there at the moment that there is no evidence to support.”

Communication and access to a number of areas remained difficult, while surveillance flights were being undertaken to survey the damage and identify those who may be isolated. Convoys of trucks carrying essential items such as food, water, medicine and fuel were making their way into remote areas and the defence force is using ships to transport needed items into areas of the east coast.

Police walk up Dartmoore Road on foot to check houses and search for bodies in Napier, New Zealand.

Among the people confirmed dead earlier this week was a two year old girl named Ivy, who was swept away by the water and drowned. Her mother, Ella Louise Collins, recounted the death of her daughter, writing in a Facebook post, “The water was about 10 centimetres from the ceiling in our house and rose extremely quickly and violently”.

The family of four tried to escape to the safety of a neighbour’s roof, but were stopped by what she called “a sudden torrent of water which almost drowned us all”, and pulled Ivy away.

Collins said “she died very quickly.”

“Please give us time while we ground ourselves and navigate this impossible time.”

On Thursday Hipkins warned that there were some people for whom the police still held “grave concerns”, but added, “We believe the majority of those considered uncontactable simply cannot make contact with loved ones, so police are prioritising those who are in isolated areas.”

Urban search and rescue team leader Ken Cooper said one man had walked 70km from Putorino to Napier to give rescue workers help with their missions.

“That’s a day-and-a-half walk,” he told Radio NZ. “He walked to give us a list of people still trapped up in the east coast.”

In Hawke’s Bay helicopters and boats were being used to check on people in isolated communities, while search and rescue teams continued to operate.

Rescue efforts were likely to be boosted by news from MetService that it no longer had any weather warnings in place in New Zealand and sunshine was forecast for most of the North Island.

Reuters contributed to this report

Adblock test (Why?)


https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMie2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnRoZWd1YXJkaWFuLmNvbS93b3JsZC8yMDIzL2ZlYi8xNy9jeWNsb25lLWdhYnJpZWxsZS1uei10ZW1wb3JhcnktbW9yZ3Vlcy1uYXBpZXItaGFzdGluZ3MtZGVhdGgtdG9sbC1uZXctemVhbGFuZNIBAA?oc=5

2023-02-17 12:38:00Z
1773034127

Kamis, 16 Februari 2023

China claims US balloons flew over Tibet and Xinjiang as spying row rumbles on - The Guardian

Diplomatic friction has worsened between the United States and China after Beijing claimed, without evidence, that US high-altitude balloons flew over its Xinjiang and Tibet regions, and threatened unspecified measures against US entities for undermining Chinese sovereignty.

Washington and Beijing are locked in a tussle over flying objects after the US military this month shot down what it called a Chinese spy balloon over the coast of South Carolina. Beijing said it was a civilian research vehicle mistakenly blown off course, and that Washington overreacted.

This week, China has claimed US balloons have flown over its airspace without permission more than 10 times on round-the-world flights since May 2022. The White House has disputed this. Beijing has not produced any evidence or specifics of its claims, but on Wednesday claimed US balloons were spotted over the highly securitised regions of Tibet and Xinjiang where Beijing is accused of extensive human rights abuses against the non-Han population.

“Without the approval of relevant Chinese authorities, it has illegally flown at least 10 times over China’s territorial airspace, including over Xinjiang, Tibet and other provinces,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin told a regular daily briefing on Wednesday.

The US deputy secretary of state, Wendy Sherman, reiterated that China’s claims about US balloons were false.

“They have now said that there have been a gazillion balloons by the US over China. That is absolutely not true. There are no US government balloons over China,” she told an event at the Brookings Institution in Washington.

Wang also accused Japan’s government of making “unfounded allegations” after the saga prompted the defence ministry in Tokyo to reanalyse sightings of unidentified aerial objects since November 2019.

The ministry announced late on Tuesday that new analysis “strongly” suggested they were Chinese spy balloons and it had “strongly demanded China’s government confirm the facts”.

Wang accused Japan of “smearing” China “without any solid evidence … China has repeatedly shared information on the unintended entry of a Chinese civilian unmanned airship into US airspace. Japan should adopt an objective and just position, view this unexpected incident caused by force majeure in the right way, and stop following the US’s suit in dramatising it.”

Washington has added six Chinese entities to an export blacklist over connections to Beijing’s suspected surveillance balloon programme. Wang called the sanctions illegal. “China is firmly opposed to this and will take countermeasures against relevant US entities that undermine China’s sovereignty and security in accordance with the law,” Wang said, without specifying the measures.

The balloon dispute has delayed efforts by both sides to try to patch up frayed relations, although Joe Biden, the US president, has said he does not believe ties between the two countries have been weakened.

The US secretary of state, Antony Blinken, who postponed a planned trip to Beijing over the balloon, is considering meeting China’s top diplomat, Wang Yi, in Munich this week, sources have said.

His deputy, Wendy Sherman, said on Wednesday that communication with China had not stopped but gave no details about any future high-level meetings.

“We hope when conditions make sense that we will be seeing each other face-to-face again. No announcements today,” she said.

With Reuters

Adblock test (Why?)


https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMifGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnRoZWd1YXJkaWFuLmNvbS93b3JsZC8yMDIzL2ZlYi8xNi9jaGluYS1jbGFpbXMtdXMtYmFsbG9vbnMtZmxldy1vdmVyLXRpYmV0LWFuZC14aW5qaWFuZy1hcy1zcHlpbmctcm93LXJ1bWJsZXMtb27SAXxodHRwczovL2FtcC50aGVndWFyZGlhbi5jb20vd29ybGQvMjAyMy9mZWIvMTYvY2hpbmEtY2xhaW1zLXVzLWJhbGxvb25zLWZsZXctb3Zlci10aWJldC1hbmQteGluamlhbmctYXMtc3B5aW5nLXJvdy1ydW1ibGVzLW9u?oc=5

2023-02-16 15:14:00Z
1765894007

Live news: Georgia grand jury says some witnesses may have lied in 2020 Trump interference probe - Financial Times

What is included in my trial?

During your trial you will have complete digital access to FT.com with everything in both of our Standard Digital and Premium Digital packages.

Standard Digital includes access to a wealth of global news, analysis and expert opinion. Premium Digital includes access to our premier business column, Lex, as well as 15 curated newsletters covering key business themes with original, in-depth reporting. For a full comparison of Standard and Premium Digital, click here.

Change the plan you will roll onto at any time during your trial by visiting the “Settings & Account” section.

What happens at the end of my trial?

If you do nothing, you will be auto-enrolled in our premium digital monthly subscription plan and retain complete access for 65 € per month.

For cost savings, you can change your plan at any time online in the “Settings & Account” section. If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial.

You may also opt to downgrade to Standard Digital, a robust journalistic offering that fulfils many user’s needs. Compare Standard and Premium Digital here.

Any changes made can be done at any time and will become effective at the end of the trial period, allowing you to retain full access for 4 weeks, even if you downgrade or cancel.

When can I cancel?

You may change or cancel your subscription or trial at any time online. Simply log into Settings & Account and select "Cancel" on the right-hand side.

You can still enjoy your subscription until the end of your current billing period.

What forms of payment can I use?

We support credit card, debit card and PayPal payments.

Adblock test (Why?)


https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiP2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZ0LmNvbS9jb250ZW50L2M2NWM3MjBkLTA2OTEtNGU2YS1hMDg3LTI5ZmM4MGJkNDczNdIBAA?oc=5

2023-02-16 17:35:59Z
1773245046

Ukraine-Russia war latest: Russian missile hits Lviv in fresh wave of attacks - The Telegraph

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. Ukraine-Russia war latest: Russian missile hits Lviv in fresh wave of attacks  The Telegraph
  2. Russia-Ukraine war live: critical infrastructure hit in Russian strikes on western region of Lviv  The Guardian
  3. Russia Launches Missile, Drone Strikes Across Ukraine Overnight  Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
  4. Live: Russia fires deadly barrage of missiles at targets across Ukraine  FRANCE 24 English
  5. Russia fires barrage of missiles at targets in Ukraine  The Independent
  6. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMibGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnRlbGVncmFwaC5jby51ay93b3JsZC1uZXdzLzIwMjMvMDIvMTYvcnVzc2lhLXVrcmFpbmUtd2FyLWxhdGVzdC1uZXdzLXB1dGluLWx2aXYtbWlzc2lsZS1zdHJpa2VzL9IBAA?oc=5

2023-02-16 08:44:34Z
1771402050

Ohio train derailment: Rail firm pulls out of meeting with residents - BBC

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. Ohio train derailment: Rail firm pulls out of meeting with residents  BBC
  2. Ohio train derailment – live: Lawsuit says Norfolk’s clean up efforts ‘made it worse’ as locals demand answers  The Independent
  3. What do we know about the Ohio train derailment and toxic chemical leak?  The Guardian
  4. Ohio train crash leaves small town in fear of toxic fallout  BBC
  5. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiM2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1OTc5NdIBN2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1OTc5NS5hbXA?oc=5

2023-02-16 08:13:38Z
1781163253

Rabu, 15 Februari 2023

Why Nikki Haley thinks she can beat Trump in Republican race - BBC

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. Why Nikki Haley thinks she can beat Trump in Republican race  BBC
  2. Nikki Haley: The Trump rival waging war on Democrats' 'woke c--p'  The Telegraph
  3. Opinion | ‘Nikki Haley Will Not Be the Next President’: Our Columnists Weigh In  The New York Times
  4. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiM2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1MzkyNdIBN2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1MzkyNS5hbXA?oc=5

2023-02-15 17:35:20Z
1776860624

Why Nikki Haley thinks she can beat Trump in Republican race - BBC

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

  1. Why Nikki Haley thinks she can beat Trump in Republican race  BBC
  2. Watch Live: Nikki Haley launches 2024 presidential campaign | CBS News  CBS News
  3. Republican Nikki Haley enters 2024 presidential race in challenge to Trump  BBC
  4. How to Campaign Against Trump as a Woman  The Atlantic
  5. Opinion | ‘Nikki Haley Will Not Be the Next President’: Our Columnists Weigh In  The New York Times
  6. View Full coverage on Google News

https://news.google.com/rss/articles/CBMiM2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1MzkyNdIBN2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9uZXdzL3dvcmxkLXVzLWNhbmFkYS02NDY1MzkyNS5hbXA?oc=5

2023-02-15 15:57:26Z
1776860624